Monday, May 03, 2010

The Valediction

That was the last time I saw you. Standing at the balcony of your apartment, you waved your hands in adieu while I walked away, via the small red gravelled path, out of your campus. And your life.

That was the day when the harsh reality was finally condensed in your dew laden words. You told me that no tree ever could hold back a wandering bird. The sky was home to your wings, you had said and you were on your way to fly across lanes, meadows, shores and oceans, but all alone.

With the utterance of your decisive words, I heard a glass castle break. The castle had belonged to me. I had joined pieces of pristine glass, one by one and had held out towards you to put your piece, in the same castle, for the two of us..

But the castle was broken and with it ended my trance. It had given way to a conscious pledge which you did not have to reciprocate. I did not need that. I was too proud to need but anything from you.

Decades have passed and today as I prepare for my eternal journey beyond the confines of my breadth, I have nothing to demand from you, I have nothing to offer you.



If my silence reaches to you across the horizons, tell me, could I once see you? Could I once behold those eyes and the smile and could those hands liberate me by waving an adieu, once? This time, for the last time, for the last time, ever?

4 comments:

  1. a poem wrapped in the form of a prose.... lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really like this..It was this post that inspired me to write 'It was to happen' for my blog.
    This is beautifully written..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having read this passage, the questions that browsed through my mind are that- what is love? Have I ever loved someone or something?

    Factually, I couldn't answer that. However, realized that it is very abstract, but truly existent as a matter of realization. Nevertheless, I must mention that I have loved the ornamentation of the feeling with the well-written language.

    To some the above passage is a philosophical note- beautifully done, to others it is an expression of love and for the particular one it is a notion of either innocence or ignorance of love- eventually, caused the crashing of the castle.

    I can assure you that one day that person will surely meet you in person and thank you for loving him so much then, otherwise, he is not worthy of having been loved, once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only those who truly love us can understand our silence. The language of silence is a very difficult one for ordinary souls to understand.

    ReplyDelete